Cold Rolled Steel Edge Conditioning
Cold Rolled Steel Edge Conditioning is a process in which the edge of a steel coil is rolled to a desired shape…round, modified, etc. This process is performed to remove slitting burr from the edge of the slit cold rolled steel to make the edge safe for exposed applications. This process can also put a complete radius on the strip for applications needing a full round edging.
At Consolidated Metal Service, Inc. you can choose from the following edge types:
- Deburred (#5 edge)
- Round (#1 edge)
- Modified Round (#4 edge)
- Specialty Edges (available upon request)
Benefits of Cold Rolled Steel Edge Conditioning
Edge conditioning different types of steel products results in the following benefits:
- Smoother edges
- Consistent, uniform finished product
- More secure handling
- Improved safety
- Reduced liability
- Allows for tighter width tolerances
What is Cold Rolled Steel?
Cold rolled steel, or CRS, is ideal for applications where precision is necessary. It is used in many applications such as home appliances and furniture, as well as in construction applications, such as garages, steel sheds, and in other industrial buildings.
The cold rolling process strengthens steel by changing its shape without the use of heat. Unlike hot rolled steel, cold rolled steel can only occur when the metal is below its re-crystallization temperature. Hot rolling is performed using high temperatures and cold rolling is performed at lower, room temperatures. Mechanical stress is used to change the structure of the metal or steel. Strain hardening increases the metal’s tensile strength and tolerances and can also improve the metal’s surface finish.
In addition to custom slitting metals, other services provided by Consolidated Metal Service, Inc. include:
- Cold Rolled Steel Edging – removing slitting burrs from the edge of steel coil and rolling the edge into a desired shape.
- Cold Rolled Steel Toll Processing – slitting and edging your coiled metal inventory which you can drop-ship to our location.
- Local & Cross-Country Shipping – providing local delivery with our own fleet and cross-country shipping through national providers.
Requesting a quote is a great way to get started
We’re happy to answer any questions you might have about our services and products…